Thursday, May 21, 2020

Evernote Strategy

Using the Evernote tool was something new to me.  I use technology mainly for researching, creating documents, and using apps.  I didn't know there was a note taking tool like Evernote.  It has impacted my learning is several different ways.  First, I was able to pull up Evernote on one screen and listen to my digital text on another.  It was great to be able to type notes as I was listening.  I'm an "old school" note taker which means I like to take paper/pencil notes.  Welcome to the 21st century way of taking notes.  Second, Evernote impacted my learning by being to be able to copy and paste important text onto my notes screen then add my own notes in a different color font to elaborate on the text about things I felt was important and real life experiences with that specific topic. It is going to be helpful when I have to go back and use my thoughts to put into a word document and I'm not having to remember all of my thoughts that I probably wouldn't have remembered at that time.  Finally, Evernote impacted my learning by keeping my notes organized and neat.  At times, my notes become sloppy and I can't read my own writing.  I'll definitely be using it with other college courses to keep up with my thoughts instead of using my paper/pencil strategy.

As I was using Evernote I was thinking of ways I could use this tool in my classroom.  One way I could use it would be to share notes with my students' parents on how to do a specific skill.  I could write down the steps to a math problem on a piece of paper, take a picture of it, then share it with the parents.  This is a great way for parents to see an example of how to complete a certain task while at home working with their child, especially if the child is having difficulty or the parents don't remember how to do a skill.   Another way I could use Evernote in my classroom would be to take anecdotal notes and observations of students for the day.  I could make notes of students that struggle with certain skills so I could work with them the following day in a small group setting.  I could also use it to keep observation notes on student behaviors if problems arise.  The notes will be useful during a parent/teacher conference so I won't forget anything that may be important for the parents to know about their child.  Last, I could use Evernote for all of my to-do lists that goes along with being a classroom teacher.  I'm on my to be a better 21st century teacher.






No comments:

Post a Comment